In this post, we’ll cover what UnMask is and step-by-step instructions on How to Opt Out of UnMask
What is UnMask?
UnMask is a people search website that offers its users a wide range of information about individuals. Not only do they provide basic information like contact records and educational history, but their data also includes criminal and court records, property ownership records, and professional license records. They source this information from public government records and other open sources.
This information can be useful in a background search, but if you’re the one whose data is exposed online, it can lead to serious safety risks. For millions of people, this personal and even confidential information is accessible online without much effort on the part of strangers. Fortunately, it’s possible to Opt Out of UnMask. Read on to see how.
Currently, there are three ways to remove your personal information from data broker sites like UnMask:
- Sign up for Optery's automated opt out and data deletion service. Our service will monitor and remove your profile from dozens of data brokers on an ongoing basis. Click here to sign up and get started with a free account and to learn about our automated service plans.
- Remove your personal information from UnMask by following the steps outlined below. Optery provides guides with step-by-step opt out instructions for many other data brokers here.
- If you are a resident of California, you can opt out of data broker sites that follow the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) law. Click here to review Instructions for submitting a CCPA Data Deletion Request.
How do I Opt Out of UnMask Manually?
1) Navigate to the UnMask opt-out page: https://unmask.com/opt-out. Enter your first name, last name, and city-state location. Verify the captcha box then click Search.
2) After you have found your record from the search results, click Delete Record. You must verify first if this is yourself and not someone else with your same name by checking if the age, location, address history, and relatives match yours.
3) The next step will require you to enter the first and last name of the record you want to remove, as well as your email address. Verify the captcha box then click Submit.
NOTE: Whenever contacting a data broker (whether by email, postal mail, or web form), we highly recommend using a disposable email address, and NOT using your own primary email address. Data brokers are known to add you to their marketing lists and databases whenever you contact them, even if the purpose is to opt out!
4) An on-screen confirmation will appear that your opt-out request has been successful. You will receive an email with a verification link, click on the Confirm Request button to confirm your opt-out request.
5) Once verified, a new page will appear with an on-screen confirmation that your request is now being reviewed. This process will take between 5-7 days.
6) You will then receive an email confirmation once your request has already been approved.
Congratulations on completing your opt-out!
You have taken a simple, but important step towards reclaiming your privacy. However, there are hundreds of People Search Sites out there displaying personal information. They are changing and being updated constantly. It’s nearly impossible to stay on top of these data brokers which is why we offer our premium service that monitors and removes your profile from dozens of data brokers continuously. We do all the work. You get your time back and more peace of mind.