FamilyTreenow: How to Opt Out and Remove Yourself from FamilyTreenow | Step-by-Step Instructions
What is FamilyTreenow?
FamilyTreenow’s mission, according to its website, is “to create the best free genealogy site in the world.” This is a popular genealogy website in the US that provides an extensive directory including common last names. They source their data from public government records and other open sources. You can acquire one’s information like birth or death records, census, and even living people records. Follow the steps in this article to Opt Out of FamilyTreeNow.
Currently, there are three ways to remove your personal information from data broker sites like Familytreenow:
- Sign up for Optery's automated opt out and data deletion service. Our service will monitor and remove your profile from dozens of data brokers on an ongoing basis. Click here to sign up and get started with a free account and to learn about our automated service plans.
- Remove your personal information from Familytreenow by following the steps outlined below. Optery provides guides with step-by-step opt out instructions for many other data brokers here.
- If you are a resident of California, you can opt out of data broker sites that follow the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) law. Click here to review Instructions for submitting a CCPA Data Deletion Request.
How do I Opt Out of FamilyTreenow Manually?
- Navigate to the FamilyTreenow opt-out page: https://www.familytreenow.com/optout. Enter your email address, verify the captcha box and click Begin Opt Out Procedure.
2. Run a search by filling in your name, city-state location, and birth year. For more refined results, you may click “add more criteria” to expand the criteria options to add the birth country, relative name, county, date of death, address, and/or phone number, whichever information is available.
3. After you have found yourself in the search results, click on the record detail. Verify this is you and not someone else with the same name.
4. Once you have verified that the record belongs to you, click the red ‘Opt Out’ button that is on the top part of the page.
5. An on-screen confirmation will appear if your opt-out request is successful. You will receive an email with a verification link, click on the link to confirm your opt-out request.
6. Once you have clicked on the verification link, an on-screen confirmation will appear that your request is now being processed and that your record will be removed from FamilyTreenow within 72 hours.
In most cases, FamilyTreenow immediately removes your record after the request has been successfully confirmed. If you have multiple records that need to be removed, repeat steps 1-5.